All parents in Nevada are entitled to equal rights with regard to his or her child. It does not matter whether the parents are married or not married, each parent is entitled to a relationship with their child. The Best Interest Factors are what the Courts use as a guide to determine custody, visitation, and where children should live. The Best Interest of the Child is something you will hear often in child custody matters. The Best Interest of the Child (“BIC”) include the following factors
- Wishes of the child, if the child is of sufficient age and intelligence?
- Which parent will allow frequent associations and a continuing relationship with the other parent?
- What the level of conflict is between the parents?
- Can the parents cooperate to meet the needs of the child?
- What is the mental and physical health of the parents?
- What are the physical, developmental and emotional needs of the child?
- What is the nature of the relationship of the child with each parent?
- The ability of the child to maintain a relationship with any sibling?
- Is there any history of parental abuse or neglect of the child/ sibling of the child?
- Has either parent engaged in an act of domestic violence against the child or a parent?
- Has a parent attempted to abduct the child or any other child?
The Best Interests of the Children means that all decisions in custody, visitation, and generally all references to the children are made with the end goal of fostering and encouraging a child toward good mental health, positive and strong physical and emotional health, and encouraging the child’s happiness, security, and emotional development from youth through adulthood; trying to make them a happy, healthy, and productive member of society. The Court generally suggest that is it in child’s best interests to maintain a close and loving relationship with both parents.
Warnock Family Law is located in Las Vegas, Nevada. Our primary goal is to protect your rights and to make sure that we are there to help. If you would like to arrange a free, discreet, confidential consultation. Just click here